Thursday, August 30, 2012

The quest for a great iced coffee (Arlington, VA part 2)...

Only one review for you today.  But I should open it with a disclaimer.  In my last review I pointed out that Rappahannock Coffee is the only coffee shop in the south Arlington corridor.  This is basically true.  However, there are a bunch of local ethnic restaurants and cafes that offer their own coffee beverages.  The majority of them do not roast their own beans, but they provide their own benefits.  You might not get free WiFi, you might not get the coffee house crowd, you might not get the trendy vibe, but you get the chance to try some great local cuisine along with your coffee beverage.  Sometimes, this is all the incentive you need.

A little ways down Columbia Pike, from Rappahannock is a little Ethiopian cafe called, appropriately enough, Ethio Cafe.  It offers a wonderful variety of Ethiopian staples on its menu, not the least of which is a wonderful variety of espresso and coffee beverages all brewed with a wonderful Ethiopian grown coffee blend (not roasted in house though).

When I made my first stop there (because of the sign on their door emploring folks to "try our special coffee!"), I noticed, curiously enough, that they did not have iced coffee on their menu of coffee beverages.  I assumed, however, seeing iced lattes on their menu, that they could put one together for me.  This was definitely the case.

The lady behind the counter was more than able to handle my request, did so with a smile, and was extremely polite and personable.  As I said before, a beverage served with a smile like that just seems to taste better to me.  Plus one for service!

A couple of downsides however, are of note.  One, there is a minimum charge of five dollars for the use of debit or credit cards.  So, if you are just in for a quick espresso of coffee beverage, then you must remember to bring cash.  Another downside is that sugar is added to beverages behind the counter.  Although I took my iced coffee black, if you want sugar in your beverage, you'll have to ask them for it and watch your server to make sure that they add the right amount.  I will mention that Ethiopians (in general, there are always exceptions), like their coffee sweet, so the lady gave me an odd look when I told her I wanted it black, but she didn't say anything.

Onto the beverage.  Ethiopians typically take their coffee quite strong.  Although the brew seemed to indicate a medium roast (the color was more of an amber than the often typical dark chocolate brown of most iced coffees), this did not translate over to the flavor.  The flavor was that of a very full-bodied, strong, and bracing coffee.  There were definitely bitter notes to this coffee.  The caffeine didn't hit me right away, it actually took longer than most coffees and it wasn't overpowering either, but again, this had little bearing on the flavor.  If a strong, bold flavor that hits you hard is what you look for in your coffee, I would definitely recommend you come here and give this place a try.  If, on the other hand, you like a more mellow brew with more complex flavor notes in your beverage, then this is probably not the place for you.  It definitely caters to the typical Ethiopian style which is for a bold-tasting, strong brew that packs little subtlety.

No comments:

Post a Comment