Sunday, September 9, 2012

The quest for a great iced coffee (Arlington, VA part 3)

Ok, so I have a friend who works in Rosslyn, around the corner from a place known simply as "Coffee Express."  While I can imagine there are thousands of places across the country called Coffee Express, to my knowledge, this place is not a chain establishment, so it merits inclusion in here.  My friend convinced me to try it because he said that in the Rosslyn office district, it serves a rather large crowd on most mornings.  Obviously, it fills a needed niche for coffee beverages and benefits from an ideal location.

When you walk inside the establishment, there is nothing pretty or fancy about this place.  it does what it does, and it does it well.  It serves up coffee and espresso beverages.  It does not serve up particularly high quality product, but their prices are slightly lower than many of the local DC area coffeehouses and caffeine purveyors, so you can't really argue with that.

The food offerings are boringly typical for a coffee joint as well, but probably serves the needs of the Rosslyn lunch crowd who want to be able to get an afternoon cup and pick up a sandwhich or something at the same time.

Owing to the fact that this place serves an important place for those in search of a quick morning pick-me-up, I decided I would venture here and include it among my reviews.  When I was there, I was served by a very gracious Asian man.  He even bowed slightly when he handed over my order.  Again, service is important so points to that!  The iced coffee I had when I was there was strong.  VERY strong.  If I could call a roast "ultra dark" I think this would qualify.  The brew was dark and bitter.  It's not the kind of coffee I want to be drinking on a daily basis (I don't know how some of the Rosslyn office crowd does it), but every now and then, a stronger brew does make an ocassional nice departure from the more mellow flavors I typically go for.  And in combination with the fast-hitting caffeine (REALLY fast, good for a morning jolt) of the brew, the bitter flavor will definitely help wake you up.

This place is not where you want to go for a quality cup of java on that first date, when the family is in town, or when you want to have a leasurly afternoon coffeehouse experience.  Not in the least!  But it serves the Rosslyn office crowd admirably and has a great location, so you can't fault it for what it does.

No comments:

Post a Comment